Connect with us

Politics

NEW: John Thune Under Fire For Public Break With Trump: ‘Not A Big Fan’

Published

on

Senate Majority Leader John Thune is facing blowback after publicly distancing himself from the Trump administration’s new $1.7 billion compensation fund for people the administration says were “unfairly” investigated by past governments.

Thune told reporters he was “not a big fan” of the fund and said he did not see “a purpose” for it, making him the most prominent Republican so far to question the initiative.

Democrats, meanwhile, have ripped the plan as a political payout program, calling it a “slush fund” for Trump allies, including some people charged or convicted in connection with the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol riot.

The Justice Department rolled out the “Anti-Weaponization Fund” on Monday. The department said it was created “in exchange” for President Donald Trump dropping a $10 billion lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service over the leak of his tax returns.

Under the agreement, the plaintiffs in the lawsuit, including Trump’s sons Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump and the Trump Organization, will receive an apology but no money, the department said.

The fund would be overseen by a five-member commission, with four members appointed by the attorney general. The total pool is set at $1.776 billion, a figure tied to 1776, the year the United States declared independence.

Thune said he wasn’t clear on how the administration plans to use the fund and predicted Capitol Hill scrutiny.

“My assumption is that, based on some of the blowback that’s come since this was announced, that there would be a significant amount of attention paid to it,” he said.

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche defended the fund during a congressional hearing Tuesday, arguing it is nonpartisan and open to anyone.

“It’s not limited to Republicans,” Blanche said. “There’s no limitation on the claims.”

Democrats challenged that framing during the hearing. Sen. Patty Murray of Washington called the plan “this [the fund] is corruption that has never been more blatant or more widespread”.

RELATED: GOP Rep. Calls For Removal Of John Thune

“What is happening is you write the cheque, Trump and his cronies cash it. American taxpayers who are already being whacked with high prices are going to foot the bill,” Murray said.

The announcement also triggered fresh questions inside the administration. Treasury Department general counsel Brian Morrissey resigned hours after the fund was unveiled after seven months in the role. Morrissey has not commented publicly. A Treasury spokesman said he served with “honour and integrity”.

Download the FREE Trending Politics App to get the latest news FIRST >>