Politics
Country On ‘High Alert’ After Detecting Two Ballistic Missiles Launched From Iran
The United Arab Emirates was placed on high alert Tuesday after the country’s air defense systems detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran, marking a renewed security threat in the Persian Gulf.
The UAE Ministry of Defence announced that the missiles were detected traveling toward the country on August 18. According to officials, one of the missiles fell outside UAE territorial waters while the second came down within the country’s territorial waters.
The ministry said Emirati forces remain on “high alert” and are fully prepared to respond to threats against the country. Officials said the military is prepared to confront attempts to undermine the UAE’s security while protecting its sovereignty, stability, national interests and strategic capabilities.
The incident prompted emergency warnings for residents as authorities responded to the potential missile threat. Residents in Dubai and other parts of the UAE reported receiving alerts on their phones advising them to follow official instructions and remain in safe locations.
Authorities later reassured the public that the immediate situation was safe. A follow-up alert sent to phones across the country told residents that the situation was under control and normal activities could resume. Officials also explained that unusual sounds heard in some areas were connected to air defense systems responding to the threat.
UAE air defence systems detected a missile threat targeting the county. Please remain in a safe location and follow warnings and updates issued through official channels. pic.twitter.com/aobFA9WRdw
— NCEMA UAE (@NCEMAUAE) August 18, 2026
The Ministry of Defence urged residents to rely exclusively on official government sources for information about the developing situation and warned against spreading rumors or unverified claims online.
Tuesday’s incident represented the first reported Iranian ballistic missile launch toward the UAE since a May 4 strike on the port of Fujairah. There was no immediate public response from Iran to the UAE’s accusation that the missiles originated from Iranian territory.
The renewed missile threat comes after months of heightened tensions across the region. The UAE has previously activated its air defense network in response to Iranian missiles and drones, putting the Gulf nation’s defensive capabilities at the center of the confrontation.
The UAE is also home to Al Dhafra Air Base, which has hosted American military forces and has long played an important role in U.S. operations across the Middle East. That American military presence has made security developments involving the UAE particularly significant as tensions involving Tehran continue.
For residents on Tuesday, however, Emirati authorities stressed that the immediate danger had passed. The government said necessary measures were being taken to protect civilians, critical infrastructure and essential services while limiting disruptions to everyday life.
Despite that reassurance, the Defense Ministry made clear that the country’s forces remain prepared for additional threats.
Officials said the UAE remains on high alert and ready to take action against anything that threatens the nation’s security, sovereignty or stability, while continuing to urge residents to follow government alerts as the situation develops.
