According to documents released last week, over 50 Biden Administration officials across twelve government agencies have been complicit in pressuring Big Tech companies to crack down on — or censor — what they deem misinformation.
Several Senior officials, including White House lawyer Dana Remus, deputy assistant to the president Rob Flaherty, and onetime White House senior COVID-19 adviser Andy Slavitt, have contacted major social media companies to persuade these companies to enforce stricter rules on supposed false and misleading information on COVID-19, as well as take action against users who violate the rules. But as more and more data becomes available unveiling the truth about the virus, its origin, and the scary reality of the shots, people are compelled more than ever to get the truth exposed.
— Crossroads with Joshua Philipp (@crossroads_josh) September 6, 2022
In July 2021, after Biden accused Facebook of “killing people” by not censoring what he considered misinformation effectively, an executive at Meta contacted Surgeon General Vivek Murthy, appointed by Biden, to say that the government and Meta teams had met so that there could be a better understanding of the scope of what the administration expects of them regarding misinformation moving forward.
"*" indicates required fields
That same executive later contacted Surgeon General Murthy saying, “I wanted to make sure you saw the steps we took just this past week to adjust policies on what we are removing with respect to misinformation, as well as steps taken to further address the ‘disinfo dozen,’” steps that included removing pages linked to the group.
The White House continuously pressured social media companies to take swift, censoring action against a group that officials called the “disinformation dozen,” which a nonprofit claimed was producing the majority of the “anti-vaccine misinformation” across social media platforms. Murthy contended that Facebook hadn’t done enough to combat this misinformation.
The documents exposed were part of a preliminary presentation in a lawsuit brought against the U.S. government by the attorneys general of Missouri and Louisiana. They were then joined by experts who maligned themselves against federal officials.
Jenin Younes, a lawyer with the New Civil Liberties Alliance representing some of the plaintiffs in this case, said the following in a statement: “If there was ever any doubt the federal government was behind the censorship of Americans who dared to dissent from official Covid messaging, that doubt has been erased. The shocking extent of the government’s involvement in silencing Americans, through coercing social-media companies, has now been revealed.”
The plaintiffs, in this case, have labeled this massive campaign to pressure social media platforms to censor users as a “Censorship Enterprise” because of the enormous amount of officials and agencies involved.
There is a broad spectrum of officials and agencies involved, which goes all the way to the top of the U.S. government, including White House officials. Meta provided proof of at least 32 federal officials, which includes top officials at the White House and the Food and Drug Administration, YouTube disclosed 11 officials, and Twitter revealed 9.
Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landy stated: “When the federal government colludes with Big Tech to censor speech, the American people become subjects rather than citizens. The [U.S. Department of Justice] must not be allowed to hide behind the veil of executive privilege, especially when there is already compelling evidence that the people’s government colluded with these social media companies to suppress their right of free speech.”
The plaintiffs told the judge overseeing this case that more discovery will be needed to uncover the full scope of this censorship campaign, but it opens up a window of hope for those of us who champion the right to free speech.
— 🇺🇸RealRobert🇺🇸 (@Real_RobN) September 2, 2022