New details have emerged in the sudden firing of Tucker Carlson: a board member for Fox News told him that he was pulled from the air as a consequence for the Dominion Voting Systems lawsuit, according to Axios.
Who that board member might be is unclear, but the number of members is small: in addition to Fox News founder Rupert Murdoch and his son Lachlan, other board members include attorney William Burck, Formula 1 Chairman Chase Carey, venture capitalist Anne Dias, media mogul Roland Hernandez, private equity advisor Jacques Nasser, and former House Speaker Paul Ryan.
Ryan has previously spoken out against what he called Carlson’s “toxic sludge” and blamed himself for not standing up to so-called misinformation put out by the network in the aftermath of the 2020 election. Calling Carlson a “different kind of conservative,” Ryan said in February that he hopes to realign the network to put “the conservative movement in a good place in America again.”
The Dominion suit, and Carlson’s role in questioning the company’s technology, overshadowed the primetime host’s nightly draw of three million viewers to the network. In April, Fox announced it had reached a massive $787 million settlement with Dominion to avoid litigation accusing the network of allowing Carlson and other on-air talent to question whether faulty vote-counting systems led to President Donald Trump losing the 2020 election.
On Tuesday, Carlson released a letter accusing Fox of breaching its contract with him, which stipulated he was to remain off the air through the 2024 elections. Carlson, through his lawyer, threatened to file suit against Fox founder Rupert Murdoch and other executives if he was blocked from launching his own news program on Twitter, a move Carlson announced the same day.
A Fox spokesperson told Axios it was “categorically false” that Carlson was terminated because of the Dominion lawsuit, and an attorney for the company insisted it did not demand the host be terminated as part of the agreement.