Connect with us

Politics

JUST IN: Eric Swalwell’s Chinese Honeypot Scandal Takes Huge Turn After Bombshell Doc Release

Published

on

The FBI uncovered evidence that Rep. Eric Swalwell may have been financially compromised by a woman linked directly to Chinese intelligence, according to explosive files declassified by President Donald Trump and released Monday.

The records detail the California Democrat’s relationship with Chinese national Fang Fang, who also used the English name Christine Fang. Investigators suspected she used sex, campaign cash and congressional interns to gain influence while the bureau was trying to recruit her as an informant.

The White House Government Transparency Task Force released the documents as part of a broader push to expose foreign threats targeting America’s elections and political institutions.

FBI officials knew early in the recruitment effort that Fang had ties to China’s Ministry of State Security, Beijing’s feared spy agency, the files show. Her parents were also identified as MSS agents.

Agents believed Fang was raising money for California Democrats and was prepared to use sexual relationships to advance her political connections.

The FBI gave Fang the code name Rusty Thumbs and planned to employ her through a front company. Agents were still determining whether she was suitable to become a confidential human source when they discovered evidence of her alleged criminal conduct.

That discovery prompted a predicated investigation, a formal inquiry supported by facts or allegations pointing to an existing crime or national security threat. Unlike unpredicated “assessments,” such an investigation permits more intrusive tactics, including electronic surveillance and informants.

Investigators initially considered pursuing a bribery case involving Eric Swalwell, according to the records. The suspected arrangement centered on Fang steering donations to Swalwell while placing interns in his congressional office.

The probe was later narrowed to possible criminal charges against Fang for allegedly funneling illegal campaign contributions to Swalwell through U.S. citizens acting as conduits.

During FBI interviews, Swalwell acknowledged having sex with Fang, according to the files. He also said members of his staff had placed interns recommended by Fang in congressional positions.

POLL: Should Foreigners Be Banned From Buying American Farmland?

Swalwell further conceded that his campaign’s compliance system may not have been strong enough to detect the alleged straw donations.

Fang fled the United States after agents began questioning her associates and searched her home. Despite what the files characterized as strong evidence of illegal donations, the Justice Department declined to prosecute her.

The investigation’s early stages were overseen in part by Jack Smith, the prosecutor who later brought federal criminal cases against Trump, according to Just The News.

Fang’s campaign to cultivate American politicians first burst into public view in a 2020 Axios investigation. U.S. officials reportedly believed she targeted local political figures in the San Francisco Bay Area through fundraising, networking, charm and romantic or sexual relationships.

Swalwell was identified as one of her most important targets.

His office told Axios that the congressman cooperated fully with the FBI, a position he has maintained for years.

“Rep. Swalwell, long ago, provided information about this person — whom he met more than eight years ago, and whom he hasn’t seen in nearly six years — to the FBI. To protect information that might be classified, he will not participate in your story,” Swalwell’s office said in a statement.

The newly released records include Swalwell’s interviews with agents and confirm that he cooperated with the bureau’s investigation.

Swalwell nevertheless fought to keep the files under wraps. Earlier this year, he threatened legal action and demanded that the FBI halt their release.

His attorneys, Norm Eisen and Sean Hecker, issued the warning in a March cease-and-desist letter to FBI Director Kash Patel.

“The Congressman has never been accused of wrongdoing in that matter and your attempt to release the file is a transparent attempt to smear him and undermine his campaign for Governor of California,” attorneys Norm Eisen and Sean Hecker wrote. “Your actions threaten to expose you, others at the FBI, and the FBI itself to significant legal liability.”

POLL: Ilhan Omar Now Claims She’s Broke – Do You Believe Her?