In a recent exclusive poll conducted by NH Journal in collaboration with co-efficient, it was revealed that the Republican base in New Hampshire remains staunchly loyal to former President Donald Trump. The poll results indicate that Trump’s popularity within the state’s GOP remains undeterred, even amidst his many legal challenges.
Key findings from the NH Journal poll include:
- Trump has consistently led in both national and New Hampshire polls since his first criminal indictment in April.
- Trump enjoys the support of 43% of NHGOP primary voters.
- Despite a slight dip in approval since mid-June, Trump’s margin over other Republican contenders remains significant.
- 62% of the primary voters would still vote for Trump even if he were convicted of a felony, and 57% would support him even if he were incarcerated during the election.
- Only 25% of GOP primary voters believe Trump committed a crime related to the January 6, 2021, U.S. Capitol riot. The remaining 75% either believe Trump is innocent or think he is being prosecuted solely because of his identity.
— NH Journal (@NewHampJournal) August 8, 2023
Co-efficient CEO Ryan Munce explained, “As a pollster, I wonder if there is any other political figure in America who could generate this level of loyalty. It will be difficult for any Republican to peel away these voters.”
Veteran GOP strategist Jim Merrill was quoted in both reports, drawing attention to Trump’s enduring loyalty among his base. Merrill stated, “To paraphrase Donald Trump, he could stand in the middle of Elm Street and shoot someone and not lose any voters.” However, he also noted that Trump still has less than 50% primary support, suggesting opportunities for other primary challengers.
“But they’re climbing an awfully steep hill to make it happen, and the clock is ticking.”
Michael Graham, the managing editor of New Hampshire Journal, shared with Secrets, “The talk from D.C. pundits that New Hampshire Republicans are drifting away from Donald Trump doesn’t match the reality we’re seeing on the ground. Talk to voters, and they have plenty of nice things to say about the other candidates, but, for the moment, they are sticking with Trump.”